Implementing a dedicated QC function at origin.
George is a clothing brand launched by Asda in 1990. Marketed as quality fashion at affordable prices, it is one of the largest clothing retailers in the UK.
In recent years there has been a trend for retailers to move their Quality Control operations upstream to sourcing locations.
By doing this, retailers have been able to take advantage of operating cost reductions, reduced expenditure on reprocessing, and subsequent advantages of adopted consolidation programs. George realized that to continue providing quality fashion at affordable prices they needed to look at ways to drive efficiency from their supply chain, such as by moving technical quality control inspections upstream.
Utilising EV Cargo’s’ global network of facilities and experience at origin QC services, platforms were implemented across two key sourcing locations.
- Full technical quality control inspections
- Dedicated platforms in Shanghai and Shenzhen
- Managed by EV Cargo dedicated resource
- Reduced operating cost versus UK – 20% saving
- Improved failure rate – 15% reduction
- Reduction in re-processing costs – £50,000 saving pa
- Improved lead-times – Average 2-day reduction
- Freight and destination cost savings through better consolidation – Est £400,000 pa